Sunday, March 6, 2011

March 2nd: P-Day

Lima LDS Temple

There's a lot to adjust to here, for sure. The food is ok, but definitely not normal. The CCM (MTC in Spanish) is a nice place--newer than Provo, but there's less money in the budget. You have to eat everything you get at the cafeteria and it's always rice with meat and some kind of potato.  The temple is interesting in Spanish. I went without a headset this time and understood most from what I remember, but I still can't speak quite well enough. We had a little more variety in food, yesterday we got spaghetti with almost-pizza! We were really excited. I bought some soy sauce today (I think) that might help some of the rice when I don't get enough sauce. Some of the fruit is good. They have fresh, green clementines that I usually like, and bananas. My companion is Elder Baez, from Argentina. He's super nice and diligent and a good missionary, but his accent is sometimes hard to understand. All North Americans here have Latino companions, but we separate for classes so we can learn Spanish too. The Latinos are only here for 3 weeks so I'll have a different companion one week from now and most of the Elders here will be in the field. There are only 3 elders here that will be staying after the rotation: myself, Elder Hatch (from Provo, also going to Piura) and Elder Schomburg (from... Colorado? he's going to Ecuador Quito). None of the other Elders here now are going to our missions, they alternate which missions come in so next rotation there with be elders going to our areas. I heard that they announced a new Chiclayo mission that will take out some of our area. 


 Umm I don't know how much of what's been going on to narrate to you in the time that I have, so I'll skip to proselyting on Saturday. We went to an area in Callao, which is apparently one of the poor, dangerous (at night) parts of Lima. The area really was quite poor and the culture was striking. My companion and I went around in the sun for 6 hours or so with one of the maestras (hna. caballero) and tracted. We contacted several people and taught 3 lessons, one of which went very well (from what I could tell). I wasn't able to do much (or understand much) besides sit there and quote the primera visión at one point. Still, i'm making progress and (hopefully) will be prepared when the time comes to get out into the field. 

No comments:

Post a Comment